Australia I knew.(35).

The Opera House-Sydney-Australia.
Bennelong Point-in Sydney Harbour,
Architech-Jom Utzon-(Danish).  Construction-1959 to 1973. Opened by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth 11-1973. 
‘Commonwealth of Australia’ founded-7th.February 1788.
Population-22 million.

 

  The ‘Rocks’ commemoration feature-Sydney-Australia. Feature commemorates the original people transported to Australia by Penal Transportation-(convicts).

( Photograph-5th. February-1983.)

.

Advertisements

Heritage at two Ports.(34)

Statue of Liberty- New York-USA-(34).

Southampton Civic Centre Clock Tower

Statueof Liberty, New York, donated by France-dedicated 28th. October 1886. A symbol of freedom & democracy”.  Height- 305 feet 6 inches; weight- 225 tons; Public access via. 154 internal steps ( no lift ).

 Southampton’s Civic Centre -Clock Tower. Height-215- internal steps; nine bells-largest- ‘Solent Chimes’-3.5 tons. Tune played-‘O God our help in ages past’. ( Every 4 hours). Clock face- 11- feet across.  Architect- E.Berry Webber, A.R.B.A., -1929/1939. Much appreciation is due to former Mayor- Sir Sydney Guy Kimber for his vision & drive.

**The Queen’s Peace Fountain.(33D).

The opening- East Park-17th. August 2001.

The Commemorative Casket, sealed in a leaden container, contained a collection of local records & documentation, including a selection from deposits from The Southern Daily Echo originally from behind the Foundation Stone in the new Above Bar premises ( post WW2).  Also City of Southampton Society documentation containing the history of its Queen’s Peace Fountain public campaign; donors to the Appeal, etc . A full copy is on deposit in the City Archives.  Reference ACC. 6648. See Blog No. 7  for further details.

 

 

 

 The Commemorative Casket beneath the Fountain

Itchen Ferry-Regeneration.(32A).

Itchen Ferry-Regeneration-
Replacement plaque & signage
Congratulations to the Southampton Amateur Rowing Club, Woolston, and particularly to John Bailey who coordinated the project over 2008 & 2010   to regenerate the Itchen Ferry-( ‘The Lost Village’), in memory of the 96 local people killed by bombing in WW2. They have provided a facility for people to enjoy the view & water facility, ( NB. Its history dates back before the Middle Ages).   New housing families being provided locally  will have access to the River Itchen & its
shore to enjoy.   A removable barrier has been installed to prevent highwater tides
flooding the Hazel Road way.  The original plaque-by Johanna Metcalfe, installed in 1990 was stolen in 2008/2009.  Fortunately its pattern was located & a replacement  produced   & is now  installed.